Oct 4, 2018

Mazda commits to having an entire electric portfolio by 2030

Electric Vehicles
Sophie Chapman
2 min
The Japanese automaker, Mazda, has announced its pledge to transform its entire car portfolio to either hybrid-electric or...

The Japanese automaker, Mazda, has announced its pledge to transform its entire car portfolio to either hybrid-electric or fully-electric vehicles (EVs) by 2030.

The firm, which currently offers no EVs, revealed it will introduce its first hybrid vehicle to the market next year.

The vehicle will use a battery and range extender, to be powered by a rotary engine. Mazda’s rotary engine technology was last used in the RX-8 sports car.

Following the introduction of it’s first hybrid car, the auto manufacturer intends to launch its first fully EV in 2020.

SEE ALSO:

“By 2030, Mazda expects that internal combustion engines combined with some form of electrification will account for 95% of the vehicles it produces and battery electric vehicles will account for the remaining 5%,” stated Mazda.

The company’s news aligns with its “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030” strategy, which has set the goal of reducing the firm’s “well-to-whell” CO2 emissions by 90% by 2050 against a baseline set in 2010.

As an interim target, Mazda aims to half its emissions by 2030, set against the same baseline.

Under the strategy, which the firm launched last year, Mazda also intends to introduce autonomous driving technology as a standard in its operations by 2025.

Share article

May 13, 2021

All but two UK regions failing on school energy efficiency

schools
energyefficiency
Renewables
Dominic Ellis
2 min
Yorkshire & the Humber and the North East are the only UK regions where schools have collectively reduced how much they spend on energy per pupil

Most schools are still "treading water" on implementing energy efficient technology, according to new analysis of Government data from eLight.

Yorkshire & the Humber and the North East are the only regions where schools have collectively reduced how much they spend on energy per pupil, cutting expenditure by 4.4% and 0.9% respectively. Every other region of England increased its average energy expenditure per pupil, with schools in Inner London doing so by as much as 23.5%.

According to The Carbon Trust, energy bills in UK schools amount to £543 million per year, with 50% of a school’s total electricity cost being lighting. If every school in the UK implemented any type of energy efficient technology, over £100 million could be saved each year.

Harvey Sinclair, CEO of eEnergy, eLight’s parent company, said the figures demonstrate an uncomfortable truth for the education sector – namely that most schools are still treading water on the implementation of energy efficient technology. Energy efficiency could make a huge difference to meeting net zero ambitions, but most schools are still lagging behind.

“The solutions exist, but they are not being deployed fast enough," he said. "For example, we’ve made great progress in upgrading schools to energy-efficient LED lighting, but with 80% of schools yet to make the switch, there’s an enormous opportunity to make a collective reduction in carbon footprint and save a lot of money on energy bills. Our model means the entire project is financed, doesn’t require any upfront expenditure, and repayments are more than covered by the energy savings made."

He said while it has worked with over 300 schools, most are still far too slow to commit. "We are urging them to act with greater urgency because climate change won’t wait, and the need for action gets more pressing every year. The education sector has an important part to play in that and pupils around the country expect their schools to do so – there is still a huge job to be done."

North Yorkshire County Council is benefiting from the Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme, which has so far awarded nearly £1bn for energy efficiency and heat decarbonisation projects around the country, and Craven schools has reportedly made a successful £2m bid (click here).

The Department for Education has issued 13 tips for reducing energy and water use in schools.

Share article