Mar 27, 2018

Rovco to introduce 3D visualisations to offshore wind inspections

Wind
Sophie Chapman
2 min
The UK-based startup, Rovco, plans to replace high-res cameras in offshore wind turbine inspections with 3D visualisation.

The UK-based startup, Rovco, plans to replace high-res cameras in offshore wind turbine inspections with 3D visualisation.

The firm received funding from InnovateUK, the government’s Technology Strategy Board, which will finance 70% of its first two stages, with Rovco funding the remaining 30%.

The first stage will see the Bristol startup work with the Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Catapult to develop software that produces real-time 3D data found from subsea conditions.

Following the trials of the first stage’s technology at ORE Catapult’s facility in Scotland, Rovco will generate a survey solution based on artificial intelligence.

The firm aims for its technology to be used instead of high-res cameras, due to them being expensive, time-consuming, and not as consistent.

SEE ALSO:

Rovco claims that its 3D visualisations could cut the costs of inspecting offshore wind farms by up to 80%.

The startup, which launched in September 2016, has received an ISO 9001 accreditation from DNV GL, based on the consistent delivery of products and services.

The award was given following an independent assessment of the firm’s quality management systems.

“Within an increasingly competitive market more and more companies require management system certification from suppliers and sub-contractors in order to conduct business with them,” commented CEO of Rovco, Brian Allen.

“This seal of approval is a huge testament to the hard work delivered by our team over the past 18 months, demonstrating their relentless drive to implement the policies, procedures and controls required to achieve the best possible outcomes for our customers.”

Share article

Apr 23, 2021

Drax advances biomass strategy with Pinnacle acquisition

Drax
Biomass
Sustainability
BECCS
Dominic Ellis
2 min
Drax is advancing biomass following Pinnacle acquisition it reported in a trading update

Drax' recently completed acquisition of Pinnacle more than doubles its sustainable biomass production capacity and significantly reduces its cost of production, it reported in a trading update.

The Group’s enlarged supply chain will have access to 4.9 million tonnes of operational capacity from 2022. Of this total, 2.9 million tonnes are available for Drax’s self-supply requirements in 2022, which will rise to 3.4 million tonnes in 2027.

The £424 million acquisition of the Canadian biomass pellet producer supports Drax' ambition to be carbon negative by 2030, using bioenergy with carbon capture and storage (BECCS) and will make a "significant contribution" in the UK cutting emissions by 78% by 2035 (click here).

Drax CEO Will Gardiner said its Q1 performance had been "robust", supported by the sale of Drax Generation Enterprise, which holds four CCGT power stations, to VPI Generation.

This summer Drax will undertake maintenance on its CfD(2) biomass unit, including a high-pressure turbine upgrade to reduce maintenance costs and improve thermal efficiency, contributing to lower generation costs for Drax Power Station.

In March, Drax secured Capacity Market agreements for its hydro and pumped storage assets worth around £10 million for delivery October 2024-September 2025.

The limitations on BECCS are not technology but supply, with every gigatonne of CO2 stored per year requiring approximately 30-40 million hectares of BECCS feedstock, according to the Global CCS Institute. Nonetheless, BECCS should be seen as an essential complement to the required, wide-scale deployment of CCS to meet climate change targets, it concludes.

Share article